The Academy uniform
Why have a uniform?
Here at The Academy at Shotton Hall we are proud of the impressive standard of our uniform and have been particularly delighted at the number of comments we have received about how smart students look.
We believe that proper school uniform is important because it:
- instils pride in our students and the wider community
- encourages identity with, and support for, our school ethos
- protects children from social pressures to dress in a particular way
- nurtures cohesion and promotes good relations between different groups of pupils
- supports effective teaching and learning.
We would like to thank all parents for their help in maintaining the standard and to ask for support in our continued drive for consistency.
|Blazers, shirts and jumpers
|Trousers and skirts
While we are more than happy for parents and students to purchase school uniform from a wide variety of sources. We have worked closely with Emblematic to create trousers and skirts with the Academy logo that meet our uniform rules. Neither trousers nor skirts should have any adornments, fashion zips or buttons.
- Plain black formal straight cut trousers - not jeans, leggings or stretchy style (Must be at least 6” wide at the bottom).
- A line or straight skirt - not tight fitting or stretch material and must be no more than one inch above the knee.
||Plain black, formal, leather or leather style shoes which can be polished. No trainers, plimsolls, pumps or boots. Socks must be black, grey or white.
- Outside coats must be removed before entering classrooms.
- No caps or hats in the building.
- Red and black t-shirt- only available from Emblematic.
- Black and red ‘skort’ - only available from Emblematic.
- Black shorts/tracksuit bottoms/leggings - available from Emblematic (but can be purchased elsewhere).
Trainers must be worn in PE lessons. Plimsolls, Converse, or canvas type shoes are not suitable. Students are advised to wear football boots for football and rugby.
Optional, although advised in the colder months, a black jumper or black tracksuit top to wear over the top of their PE t-shirt. Black jumpers with the Academy logo are also available from Emblematic. A black base layer may be worn underneath the PE t-shirt during the colder months also.
Most of the equipment you need for school will be provided for you, but there are a few things that everyone needs to bring each day:
Student planner (issued on the first day of term each year)
School bag (big enough to carry a A4 folder/exercise book)
Pencil case with a pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, etc
PE kit (on PE days)
Reading book (issued to you by your teacher)
- The Academy reserves the right to decide that the cut and colour of a students hairstyle is inappropriate e.g. tramlines, Mohicans or extreme short sides with longer hair on top.
- Hair should be a natural colour.
- Students may wear one small, single metal stud in each earlobe - no other piercings are allowed.
- Visible body piercings are not allowed e.g. nose, top of the ear, tongue. Students will not be allowed to cover piercings with an Elastoplast. Parents are advised that if a child is to have a piercing it must take place at the start of the six weeks holiday and it must be removed on the first day of term.
- No necklaces, bracelets or rings.
- No false, gel or acrylic nails - natural coloured nail varnish only.
- For health and safety reasons, nails need to be of a sensible length for work.
- Large fashion belts are not acceptable or part of the school uniform in all subjects.
- No false eyelashes.
- No make-up except in Years 10 and 11 where discreet, natural make-up can be worn.
- Hair bands should be thin and not overly decorative e.g. no large flowers.
- No tattoos.
Any students whose appearance or uniform does not match the standards described in this leaflet will be sent to the pastoral office. They will also be given a blue uniform slip to be displayed in their top blazer pocket to ensure all staff are aware the students has been spoken with.
How to order
Uniform items are available to purchase online here.
You may prefer to purchase or order uniform items in person at one of our sizing and distribution events where staff from Trutex will be available along with portable changing facilities. Dates for this are TBC.
There will also be regular events throughout the academic year. Cash and cards are accepted at the events.
We ask all parents/carers to ensure their child comes to school wearing the correct uniform. If you are unsure about the uniform policy please contact us.